Friday, April 24, 2009

Readdress Stress

Stress is inevitable. How you handle that stress is absolutely key in managing your sanity and enjoying the simple pleasures in life. I am so grateful for the small things; sunshine, bike rides... heck I've even been grateful for ceiling fans. And ironically those small things can be ways to deter your mind from that very inner struggle you are having. Normally a shoe or dress fix can straighten me right up but this past week no wedge heel or floaty pink sundress could snap me out of my funk.

Which is why I went to my Back Up Plan. Actually, there was no backup plan in order until half a meltdown but I concur that it is more than a wonderful idea to have some sort of plan in place when things start to get under your skin.

Article A: Graeter's Icecream. Fellow C-busians need I say more?
Coffee icecream + a sugar cone = pure heaven. I am not kidding when
I say I actually thought about having this for dinner multiple times this week. And let me say that when Lauren Birnie ordered the raspberry chocolate chip wheelie it made me smile.
"The jimmies did a dance on my tongue!" said Birnie.
Some things never change. Love it.

Exhibit B: Massage Envy.
I must admit, desperate times call for desperate measures. The economy, my bank account, cars...you name it, all caved in on me on Wednesday. It was 4:30. I quite possibly made the best decision I have made since choosing the Eggplant Parm at Basi Italia on date night. I called and scheduled a one-hour massage for my battered and tired young soul. Quite honestly it was the best $40 dollars I may have ever spent. I began with turning my cell phone off for no disruptions in the low-lit tranquility room to prepare my mind for total relaxation melt-down. (And giggled at the thought of the fact that I'm not THAT important but we can all act like Queen for the day...er, hour.) Followed by a one-hour massage that kicked that knot in my shoulder to the curb for good. Pure heaven. I left feeling so energized but relaxed that I had to take a walk when I got home. My senses were now in tune. I could smell the flowers blooming as I walked in my neighborhood of perfectly groomed yards with Dad's tossing footballs with their sons. (Are you puking yet?) But really, it was great. I thought to myself on that walk, "I've got to find a cheaper and easier way to calm down then a massage" but cut myself some slack for that brief moment in the name of well-being. Treat yourself.

And lastly, Columbus Clippers (ring your bell!)
The parents, the Laughlins, Josh & Tessa, Jake & myself are capping off the week with a baseball game to cheer on our hometeam the Columbus Clippers in their new stadium. Beers, hotdogs and peanuts are enticing us.

To review: remember a few key things for your own personal stress management.
1. Icecream is okay as a meal.
2. Treat yourself.
3. Surround yourself with people you love.

Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: