Friday, September 11, 2009

Where Were You?

This morning on my way to work I listened so intently to the morning talk show I always enjoy on my way to work. They make me laugh, out loud, before my coffee, before 8am. And to me that's just ridiculously great. And I sat in my car in the work parking lot JUST to listen to Coach Tressel talk about the big game tomorrow and literally got goose pimples from the endearing and motivating words he spoke. And then I remembered today is the anniversary of 9/11 and I was quite shocked that the morning show mentioned nothing about it, aside from including it in the announcements for the news at 8am sharp just before announcing that it's going to be 76 and beautiful for the game. Have we really turned a cold shoulder to such a day in history that changed our country forever?

As I have mentioned before, there are times in our lives where we will never forget where we were, what we were wearing, who we were with and the emotions that were evoked. I was in 1st period Journalism class and Mr. Bey's wife sat at home watching the morning news each and every morning. She had seen it all from the start and she called Mr. Bey directly to his classroom. Something was wrong. He frantically screamed and ran over to the TV to turn it on. We all shuddered and could not pick our chins up off the floor. Some people started crying. Some thought it was an accident, a mistake. It had to of been. But Mr. Bey knew. He instantly said it was terrorists. That morning I had woken up late, showered and didn't dry my hair. Threw on a white long-sleeved class of 2002 shirt and some red sweatpants. No one wanted to exchange classes when the bell rang, no one wanted to miss any breaking news on the TV. We all ran to our next class just to watch what was going to happen. I will always remember that morning and how that day unfolded. My whole group of friends and I went to Nikki's house after school was let off early to be together, to cry and to tirelessly watch the news for any updates possible. I remember feeling sad, confused, angry, tempered, and scared for our country. If I catch any documentaries of the day now, I have to change the channel. I've been to the Memorial at Ground Zero. It is chilling and my mind wandered with so many questions and astonishment of how such a presence could be brought down by terror and hatred.


So today, aside from Buckeye Football Fever, aside from having a good hair day and it being Friday I think it's appropriate to say that
I will never forget.

No comments: