Saturday morning breakfast is always a fantastic treat. And I adore the power of food and its ability to attach a memory, a person, a certain point in time that you will forever remember. This particular breakfast had my head swirling with all sorts of memories, and for the taste and those moments, I couldn't be more grateful.My favorite breakfast is 2 pieces of wheat toast smothered with butter and peanut butter accompanied by a bowl of sliced fresh strawberries and bananas. HEAVEN. Grandpa Leonard LOVES and I mean LOVES peanut butter. And since Dominick and I were kids and had sleepovers at their house, he would always fix up a batch of toast with butter and peanut butter on it. A love affair was born. I will always think of Grandpa and his love for peanut butter, standing in the kitchen fixing us toast in his pj's.
The carved "C" in the peanut butter is a memory I cherish close to my heart, invented by and lovingly passed on to me by Mom. She would either be making us the Heavenly Toast as mentioned before or our PBJ for school and each time a new jar opened she would call me over. "A 'C' for Carrie," she'd say, and it was just for me. Any time I open a new jar of peanut butter...well, you know the drill.
The bananas and strawberries take me to the memory of sitting in Astoria in Queens, NY with two of my best friends, KJ and Tessa. Our breakfast would not be complete without sharing a huge bowl of strawberries and bananas together, as KJ and I pick at Tessa's omelette and adore our everything bagels with cream cheese, laughing and giggling over endless amounts of coffee (tea for Tessa). This routine has been shared countless amounts of times in our trips to NYC to visit our Tessa.
Food is meant to enjoy, to share and pass down, to bring people together and create memories....oh such yummy memories I have!
what are some of your favorite food memories you associate with loved ones?
4 comments:
yum! i love peanut butter. food really is such a huge part of life. xo
Going to my German great grandparents home in Miamisburg almost every Saturday morning when we were kids and waiting while home made cinnamon rolls baked and then eating them along with a tiny glass of of grandpa's homemade grape wine made with grapes he grew in his own arbor.
Oliva, I couldn't agree more!
Annette, WOW. What a wonderful yummy memory!
One of my fondest memories as a kid was when my father made "Bird's Nest" for breakfast. He cut out a circular hole in the center of a piece of bread, cracked open an egg into the hole and fried it. The center piece of bread was toasted along side the egg nest and used as a dipper. Ate alot when we camped!
Post a Comment