Monday, March 1, 2010

the joys of running

The excitement of the 1/2 marathon has not begun to wear off. Does this surprise you? It kind of does for me. I just can't help but know that when I turn off the driveway onto the long street ahead of me it's all for a moment that is going to be indescribable...the moment I cross the finish line.

Naturally, I am a bit curious as to what I am going to eat race day morning. Track days I was lucky if I could keep a banana down. But I don't think the nerves are going to be coming on as strong anymore...an OAC Championship title is not riding on my leg of the 4x4 (sadly). I consulted my Nutritionist/Health Fitness Guru/Best Friend Tessa W. for tips on what I should start incorporating into my routine...and also what to pass up in the grocery aisle.

Lesson 1: "NOOOOOOOOOO apples the day of the race or any of your long run days. And no Fiber Plus cereal." I am assuming that was a lesson learned from experience.

Lesson 2: "No dairy or cheese the day of the race or any of your long run days. You can have a slice of cheese on your sandwich but don't go for like, mac n' cheese."

Lesson 3: "Peanut butter and bananas are GOOD." PHEW. I love both. Dad was right all those years he said, "If you only eat one thing in the morning or before a race, eat a banana."

Lesson 4: "A good recovery drink is chocolate milk." WOW. YES. Amazing. Then can I have the beer later when we go to the Country Music Marathon concert?

Lesson 5: "On race day you are going to need to refuel your energy with nutrition. Some people eat Cliff Bloks. Others have Gu (gel like substance). I eat jelly beans." For some reason I just like the idea of running with jelly beans.

Lesson 6: What if I have to pee? Do I stop and go? I'll be mad if I have to wait and it takes a long time. "Well, you can. But you will get used to running for 2 hours without having to go. Other people go on the side of the road." NOT COOL. But I guess I understand.

Lesson 7: "NEVER have ibuprofen before a long run. It messes with your intestinal lining." I'm going to assume one word: toilet.

Do you have any race day or nutritional tips for me?
Enlighten me in a note!

post signature

3 comments:

KMazza said...

Try "Sports Beans" they look and taste like jelly beans but are very energizing. You will find them at the Health Expo, grab a bunch!

XTrainer said...

muhahaha... this is funny. you are a sneaky journalist! oh and you don't have to stop to pee on the side of the road...the professionals wet themselves

XTrainer said...

oh and the sports beans are the best! i like the watermelon ones that have caffeine in them as well as the electrolytes