The outfits. The foul mouth sassiness of Roberta, Teeny, Samantha and Chrissy. The summer every kid had or wishes they could have. I am fairly certain if I had a time transporter I would choose, among many, to go back to the 70s at the very time this movie was set in. And I'd want to be their age in the surburban midwest, riding my bike until dusk, worrying about kissing a boy and drinking coca-cola from a bottle. Not to mention the clothes...and the music...sigh.
How about when Roberta beats the crap out of that boy during softball? And when Sam gets her back and takes him right back down? That part STILL gives me the that-was-so-badass chills!

photo via
The outfits. Cutoff shorts, keds. Button-up tops tied at your belly button. Chrissy's pigtails (with bird poop in them) and Teeny's pudding filled balloons in her bra.
The soundtrack is absolutely amazing. Still listen to it today. "Knock Three Times" by Tony Orlando & Dawn. YES. Every song, yes and yes.
Best quote: "That was the day Roberta stopped taping her boobs."
On that note, I always wanted to be Roberta because she got to kiss the oldest Wormer brother (Devon Sawa OW OW!)
Cloris Leachman as Sam's Grandma is also ridiculously great. The way she makes the girls lemonade SO strong and scoots them out to be a riot on the town to play poker with her friends. And her wig piece. Fabulous.
I am watching this for the millioneth time ASAP. I may start channeling their style this summer.
No comments:
Post a Comment