Here is my before. I can't complain about the blue walls because, like I mentioned before, it's a step up from staring at grayer than depressing gray all day. I like to think it brings out my eyes while I'm typing. Mom picked up that shoe calendar for Christmas and I LOVE it. Honestly, changing it over every morning to be greeted by a new designer shoe from the past century is quite exhilarating (it's the small things in life). I was also willed a black 80s lamp that was not pretty (not pictured).
Now let's take a look at the after.
I've ALWAYS loved lucite lamps so I picked a small one up for $19.99. The black and white striped (!) frame was $4.99 (both Tarjay). That plastic cup is my small but important way of not only staying green but staying hydrated. Colorful paper has been a priority of mine since passing notes in 6th grade, and if anyone has ever been to my house, you will know I am not a fan of overhead lighting (to a point where if you turn on an overhead light I'll give you a dissertation of why I hate it, turn it off, and switch on lamps).
On the other side, I added a bulletin board covered with fabric I bought two years ago that was meant to cover icecream chairs I bought on craigslist (yeah, one of THOSE projects that never got done). It took me 5 minutes to staple the fabric to the back of the bulletin board and voila!...something pretty to pin pictures, post-its and to-do lists (already up is my 1/2 marathon training schedule to remind me that this hiatus from all lack of exercise is nearing an end). I picked up the glass bubbly-looking globe and another mason jar at a 2nd-hand store on 5th totaling like 12 bucks there. Stacked books add levels but also remind me to take breaks and read. Water for Elephants will be next after I finish this David Sedaris book that is HILARIOUS (Me Talk Pretty One Day). I plan to add a short vase with fake flowers, but come spring I will have no problem stealing peonies from my neighbors bushes when she's sleeping in the dead of night. I know, I live on the edge (I've mentioned that story before).
ANYways! I have to admit it's definitely spruced up my little area. I have plenty more room to work with that is not pictured, but it will be a work in progress. I know such a small space seems like the last thing anyone wants to deck out, especially when you aren't sitting barefoot with your legs crossed up on your desk in your corner office with a view eating cherries and croissants, but the way I see it, if you're spending 8 hours of your day 5 days a week in this space you might as well feel inspired and happy to be in it.



1 comment:
it is a huge upgrade. i love what you did with the bulletin board most!
Post a Comment