Friday, October 26, 2012

DIY ombre hair

I have been wanting to get the ombre coloring done to my hair for awhile now. And then life shows up and your iPhone is stolen and you realize you didn't budget for a $100+ treatment to your hair in the near future. So last Friday I was wasting the remaining hour of my day at work googling and reading up on DIY ombre hair.

I read two entries from other gals, just like me, who didn't want to spend the money on something that seems, well, pretty easy (to those who aren't scared of both bleach and the risk of possibly ruining and ultimately chopping your hair). Here are the entries I read: The Gloss via The Frisky and Oh the lovely things.

I decided to combine the two into what I thought would work for my hair (and what I was most comfortable with). If you read the two entries the The Gloss dyed her ENTIRE head bleach blonde before putting the dark back into the roots. I could not wrap my (large) head around this. There's no way I was going to bleach my entire head of hair. And Oh the lovely things insisted on using an ash blonde all over once it was done. Which- I didn't do either. So, here is what I did.

The Gloss and I have similar natural hair colors, so I bought Clairol: Born Blonde and Natural Instincts: Medium Brown. I mixed the Clairol: Born Blonde and applied to my hair with my fingers (in gloves) starting at just below my ears. I used my fingers to give an uneven "zoosching" to the top of the "line" that I didn't want the bleach to go to avoid just that- a line where the bleach was beginning. I left this in for 90 minutes. Prepare to sit both topless and straight up while watching tv.

I showered and rinsed this dye out- I did not shampoo nor did I put the conditioner in. I was warned the first round would look brassy and orange but mine actually looked pretty blonde. I loosely blow dried my hair to check on the color and decided to give it another round to get the blending just right. I left this second round of bleach on for 30 minutes, showered, rinsed (no poo or conditioner) and blow dried again.

After this I used the Natural Instincts: Medium Brown and applied to my roots. Once my roots were soaked I used my fingers to drag some color down through the rest of my strands. This REALLY helped to blend. Like, a lot.

I showered AGAIN and finally I put some of that awesome conditioner into my locks. Dried my hair and decided that while the brown helped to blend, I lost a little bit of that kaPOW of the blonde at the tips that I was looking for. So, brace yourselves, I did ONE more round of the bleach (at the very ends) and did the whole drill again.

Finally, I was happy with the results!
 Inside it looks a bit carmel-y. That is my new iPhone (5)!
In the sunlight it looks a bit brighter!

In summation: I was really really clean that Friday night after all was said and done. I've gotten a lot of compliments on it. And it was a total of 22 bucks from CVS.

Booyah!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the ombre hair but I'm too scared to dye it myself ha! I got these instead - dip dye hair extensions They’re available at Hairtrade.com and there's some gorgeous colours. I got the dark to blonde one and they look fab! Kate x

Alexa said...

That looks awesome! Thinking of trying it too, but when you said that you pulled the brown through rest of your hair, do you made completely through? Like, covering all of the blond you just did at the ends? Would you do it again that way or leave the ends alone with the brown? Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

Can You Do A Tutorial On How To Cut Bangs To Be Like Yours? I Love Them !

Valerie said...

Your hair is exactly what I want. I'm so nervous about bleaching it, but that's what strand tests are for! (If I can be patient enough to do a strand test. Ha) My hair is slightly darker than yours, too. I'll let you know how it goes!
Valerie w/ Run With the Hunted

Jessica said...

Could try teasing... a lot...each section before applying bleach. That will avoid the line of demarktation...
Then apply bleach with 10 volume starting where you want to all but a couple of inches. Then apply bleach with a 20 volume to the tips. That will give you the sun kissed tips. All in one process!

Kaitlin said...

Your hair looks great! I've never dyed my hair myself but I am thinking of giving it a try. I've seen a lot of tutorials that use Blue Powder Bleach/Lightener. Have you ever tried the stuff? Was there a reason you avoided it?

Thanks!

P.S. - Nice OH T-shirt!

Carrie said...

@ Alexa- when you pull the dark brown from your roots down, just rake it with your fingers. Does that make sense? Don't take the time to cover each strand like you're coloring your entire head. Just use your fingers splayed out and go from root to tip a couple to a few times. Hope this helps!

Carrie said...

@ Kaitlin- the main reason I avoided the blue powder/bleach is because I didn't see it in the store, AND I shopped at CVS. I think if you went to a Sally's. So that's up to you m'dear!

Anonymous said...

Looks so pretty ! If my natural color is already brown I don't have to do the brown dye second part, correct ?

The Leader said...

I LOVE your hair and I love that CBUS shirt!! Where did you snag that??

Fellow CBUS Buckeye now following ;)
Please feel free to follow me back at www.ageekswifeandherdog.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I want to try this but I'm a little bit scared to do it at my home :s