I can't tell you how many times I've been shopping with my Mom and she will say, "Oh my gosh, I had a sweater exactly like that when I was growing up!" and we both commiserate at the fact that she should have saved it so that I could wear it.
Let's face it, while we all hope the 80's big hair trend stays where it should there are true classics out there in the fashion world and those will never go out of style. This is why I have begun re-thinking the times I get the itch to purge things from my closet and donate. My Mom has allowed me to wear an Ohio State shirt from her college years, it fits just right. When I put this on I remember how she was a young woman once, finding and battling her way through her young life to figure out love and meaning. When I wear this, I feel honored.
So while I am by no means a hoarder I have decided to hold on to a couple of meaningful things in my closet and home. One of the first Abercrombie shirts I purchased was with Lauren Birnie and it was a hunter green long sleeved shirt. Now, to anyone else this will hold no meaning but to Lauren and I it brings back about a million memories from 8th grade. I cannot bring myself to get rid of it. Others include tank tops from college that were countlessly passed around from friend to friend, raiding each other's closets for something "new" to wear out to a party or the bar. They may be sitting in the back of my drawers and I will never wear that flowy light pink halter top again, thank God, but every time I see it I cannot help but think of the crazy times that are associated with it.
There are of course clothes that I wear now that have meaning to me, a black wrap sweater my Mom gave me, an Ohio State hat and tee, my favorite rings. I will hold on to these forever. Trends come and go but holding on to these pieces are the chance to hold on to physical memories. Maybe I got this trait from my Grandma who has begun giving me things she has held on to until the appropriate age that I would appreciate them. And I do, whole heartedly. Clothes, a ring, a favorite mug...whatever it may be, just save a few important tokens so that someday someone special to you can whole heartedly appreciate the value and meaning it brings to the both of you for passing it on.
2 comments:
ahhh... i have a few of those... light blue flowered tank that i will never wear again but it reminds me of country concerts with my favs! and the first night we really met (kenny chesney) and decided to live together!
yeah carrie, what about those boxers of mine you still wear when you paint a room? a true fashion relic from the past! gap boxers with paint on them never go out of style.
Post a Comment