Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Santa, Baby!

Alas! I give you my very first completed and beautiful sewing project; a Christmas stocking! (And filled with 2 of my favorite goodies; Marie Claire and peanut M&M's!)

For a novice like myself I wanted to start with something simple and a stocking, with the holiday season knocking on the end of Fall's door, seemed all too appropriate.

A reckless Project Runway follower I profess I'm a long way from sewing my own dresses. (I will get there.) I found myself admitting while carefully choosing my non-traditional holiday fabric that I would never be able to choose fabric as fast as they do on that show! This indecisive thrifty chick cannot choose stocking fabric any faster then the time it takes me to choose a drink in the Starbucks line. I confess, I channeled my inner designer-wannabe a-la Project Runway and decided to go for fabrics that would be "unexpected" or "fashion forward." I know, I know it was just a stocking but I haven't been this excited about a new project since I had a clean-slate to decorate in my new apartment 2 years ago!

The print I decided to go with is a floral pattern with gold stitching. I thought the hot pink would pick up on the hot pink chair I have in my living room. The floral has a splash of Asian influence graphics that are behind which keep it girly with an edge. Although you cannot see it, the inner lining is the bright cerelean blue that is in the exterior fabric. The cuff is a blend of green, picked up from the leaves, with "sprays" of gold across to add metallic shine.

Although I do not have a fireplace (yet) I will hang this with pride this winter when I soon begin decorating my apartment with the sparkling holiday decor I've racked up over the years. That way, the velvet ruby red stocking my Mother made for me that I have had my entire life can keep cozy hanging on the fireplace at the Mazza residence. Next project? Cocktail dress? Maybe I'll stick with a decorative pillow for now...

No comments: