As I tried to sleep last night I stared up at the ceiling wondering what 2009 could bring. In a wildly optimistic gesture I actually think it could bring a lot of wonderful things. I am proud to report that I was finally looking forward, instead of behind in that old rear view mirror that always yields objects are closer than they appear. Aren't they though? I hope this holds true that my most fondest memories of 2008 are indeed closer then they appear, because in reality they seem so far away.
I started a practical habit of buying a planner, always for school, but mostly filled with social agendas and checklists. I have never been more grateful for a habit in my life. It is here that I always report what actually takes place over the course of a weekend which quickly tallies to a full year of dinners with friends and concerts on green lawns. I started this in middle school and I still have every planner up to this year filled with tidbits of memories. Something as simple as writing, "Carrabas with the girls" reminds me of the conversations and times we have actually made efforts to be in each others lives. I will cherish these forever.
So as I read through 2008's planner I jotted down and will report my Great 2008. As I scrolled through the sleepy and cold beginnings of the year I reminiced on the many, and I do mean many, times my friends and I went out to dinner. I guess there is something about mean January's and freezing Ohio February's that cold beers and hot pizzas can fill you so warmly; especially when paired with cherished friends. El Vaquero, Bar Louie, Lemongrass, Happy Greek, Marcella's, Panera...did I mention these were just in the beginning 2 months?! Food, friends, fantastic.
It can't go unmentioned. I have been hired, trained, and valued at 4...count 'em, four jobs in the course of one year! I must note here that I was not fired from any! It was purely for my own professional and personal development to which each step has surely been a significant stone in my steps to a successful career. To which I am thankful and most certain that God has put me in each position for a certain reason. Progressive was a family to me that welcomed with open arms and taught me, of all things, to be punctual. Gone are the days of lateness, who would have thought I would have enjoyed mornings routine with coffee and watercooler chats with women that tickle me to death with their family stories and quirkiness? And then there was the month that I was driving around alone in the middle of the Northern Midwest in a sprinter van with a sewing machine. Nebraska, Missouri, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota, and Kansas: I have seen enough! That trip was indeed one of a lifetime and I wouldn't trade the open road and good music that allowed me to open my eyes to anything and everything outside of the 270 outerbelt of Columbus, Ohio.
In between these adventures I jotted numerous walks with Mom at Antrim, always filled with sometimes deep, sometimes hysterical conversations that made those 2 laps around the lake seem like a foot step. Babies were born (beautiful baby Addison), movies were seen. I know that people will never forget where they were when Kennedy was shot or when the towers fell on 9/11 (a twinkle in my mother's eye and 1st period Journalism class, respectively) but I will always remember the night that Tara, Elder and I went to see the Sex and the City movie and cried, laughed and lamented on how much we loved eachother after seeing such a relating display of friendship. Too many Raisnets were devoured that night but it was worth it!
The spring could be summed up with one amazing trip to The Big Apple on Memorial Day weekend. We sighted some sailors in their whitest of white uniforms and were mesmerized! Fleet Week was quite the experience only to be capped off with a trip to China town in the hunt for knock-off purses, our usual breakfast stop at Astoria Cafe (in our usual booth a'la Seinfeld) and nights out in the Meatpacking District. My favorite day was when we took a picnic to Central Park and drank beer and played cards. Truly a relaxing and needed vacation!
The summer was amazing; my 24th birthday was ceremoniously welcomed with the chopping of my hair to a short length "like Katie Holmes," I said. It turned out cute but the grass is always greener. Immediately after I said, "I am not cutting my hair until Sencha'ls wedding," and that was that. I guess it's something about another year past and shedding some sort of old self. I frolicked at Comfest and the last baseball game at Clipper's stadium where I spent many a summer eating hot dogs. It was only fair that I bid ai'du to an old haunt that held such great childhood memories. I spotted my new boyfriend at the New York Mets game, he just doesn't know it yet. I was Dad's date to the game where we proudly respresented his childhood fav team amid a sea of Cincy Reds fans...just like me to proudly stand out in a crowd. I even caught Dad a Mets baseball glove at the end of the game as a souvenir.
The fall is the commencement of the long summer days. Leaves are changing and dying, all apart of the circle of life. On September 17 my PopPop passed away. I miss him, perhaps his voice the most. We celebrated his life in California with a beautiful ceremony honoring the life he spent in the military, serving his country and family his entire life. Fortunately, I have one more person upstairs to guide me through lifes greatest fears and questions.
My car. My car troubles I have encountered over the course of one year. As Mom and Dad put it, "we will laugh at all of this someday" which normally ends up happening about an hour after the crazy phone call of "Mom my car broke down on the way to Marietta on 70E and I'm on the side of the freeway." Fortunately, if anything learned in 2008, it is that shit happens. All things aside, I love my car and it has been through a lot of...rough...good times.
I was so disappointed to have to for-go wearing an "I Voted Today" sticker on November 4, 2008 but I was quite proud of myself for sending in my absentee ballot before the election (I was on the road somewhere in that flat-assed midwest). I proudly and tearfully watched President Elect Barack Obama make history when he made such a courageous speech. I don't care who you vote for and I am not much of a politics buff but if that didn't give you chills you are not human. It is pretty neat to watch history unfold.
I began November with a trip to Boston to visit a best friend and celebrate friendship and an early Thanksgiving. Making our first full Thanksgiving dinner was a fete accomplished by precise timing and a few beers to round out the stress of it all. Needless to say, it was absolutely delicious and I was once again reminded of the great blessings I have in my life.
December was filled with Christmas parties both ridiculous and fulfilling. It is always nice to have friends home to catch up with and pick up where we left off. The Mazza family got a WII and boy, are we obsessed. Apparently I have a pretty mean tennis face that puts Mom is a giggling fit so hard her stomach must hurt afterwards. We are all enjoying the bowling game and have announced that Family Bowling Nights should be a staple on our monthly, if not weekly, calendars.
And finally, my friends, I am heading to New York City to ring in the new year with 4 of my dearest and most fabulous friends I have the privelage of knowing. (Let's see that rounds out my states visited ticker to 9!!!)
I guess the old quote rings true, "You never know where you are going until you know where you have been." I couldn't be more grateful for 2008 and more prepared to take on 2009. To 2009: BRING IT!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment