Tuesday, January 6, 2009

NYC on My Mind

Happy 2009! I welcomed the New Year in style in New York City with quite possibly four of the funniest chics I know this side of the Mississippi! Honestly, I cannot remember the last time I laughed that hard so consistently without getting tired of it.

For once I actually felt like this "vacation" to NYC was actually that of a relaxing and peaceful one. The words NYC and vacation can rarely be paired in the same sentence, at least in my mind. I picture vacations on beaches laying on towels with drink in hand or at a lake house snuggled up with hot chocolate. But this time the city surprised me, both good and bad. The Big Apple was still glorious in all her splendor, splashed with twinkling lights and millions of people making like ants and scattering about not even noticing each other.

It is a love hate relationship on that subject; I always feel invincible and not judged, perhaps just another number in a sea of so many different types of people. But there are those quiet moments on the metro or people watching in Central Park and you wonder when everyone is just going to sloooow down or notice their neighbor. One of my favorite quiet moments was on the metro, sitting next to a dark haired boy no older than 6 playing his favorite hand held Nintendo game. I peeked over his shoulder and asked if it was anything like Super Mario Brothers to which he explained to me the entire game and the secrets, "you get the stalk to grow..like this" he showed. Children are so friendly, so vulnerable, but in such a beautiful way. While others keep their eyes averted and do not speak to strangers I gained hope in the world from a child so courageous to sit on a metro in NYC and talk to a complete stranger.

We also visited the street where Sex and the City filmed Carrie Bradshaw's apartment and front door. I didn't spot a celebrity but I was definitely star struck from seeing her stoop that I have seen hundreds of times in the show and movie. I can't wait to revisit the show to say I've been there! To think she ran down those steps and Aiden proposed in that street!

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge at night was breathtaking. Aside from having to pee so bad we wanted to cry and being as cold as an icecube we made it across to one of the hottest, best dinners that side of the river. Red wine and pasta warmed our bellies and cheeks and it was surely a contentful way to end the New York trip of 2009.

No comments: