Thursday, December 24, 2009

fond Christmas memories

Holiday traditions are just the cool whip to the pumpkin pie, cherry to the cupcake, m&m's to my vanilla Blizzard...are they not? Cupcakes and Cashmere inspired me to create some fond Christmastime memories that happen year after year. Drumroll please:

1. Watching Christmas Vacation as a family. Cue laughter as soon as Clark starts singing "JOOOOY TO THE WORLD" as they're driving to the tree farm to cut down the tree. There are too many typical Dad references in that movie, kills me everytime!

2. Mom makes cinny-buns every Christmas morning to eat while we open our stockings. Perhaps one of the ONLY times during the year I have them. Mom always gets the middle one (the most gooey) to eat with her Diet Coke while Dad, Dom and I enjoy our coffee. Meanwhile Mom's sausage estrada in the oven fills the house with oh-so-pleasant breakfast aromas.

3. The chorus of "TRY IT OOOONNNNNNN" anytime someone opens up a shirt, coat, goggles, undies, etc. etc.

4. Dad's clicking dress-up shoes going back and forth from their room to the family room to put presents under the tree Christmas Eve night...while we're TRYING to sleep!

5. Dad's rendition (on repeat) of singing Feliz Navidad with his best Mexican accent he can muster.

6. We USED to have to wait behind the door 'till Mom and Dad got the coffee brewed and last minute things settled. The anticipation KILLED Dominick and I. One year I peeked...it was the year I got a Playskool kitchenette. Oh how I loved that kitchen!

7. You know your child is sick when: Christmas morning she can't even open presents and just wants to go back to bed. That was the year I got a keyboard and an American Girl doll. I was also wearing my 101 Dalmation pj's...those were cute!

8. Other memorable Christmas' include getting my first pager, first cell phone, the Wii from Dad last year, the year we all got snorkeling gear for our vacation to the Caribbean, the year Dominick got a HEMAN! and talking Teddy Rupskin, and the year I got a play vaccum and thee ENTIRE home video all I did was vaccum the family room.

9. I am VERY picky when it comes to choosing the RIGHT wrapping paper. It just has to be right for the appropriate theme. This year was red, light blue, black and white. I cannot get over that color combo a 'la HERE.

10. I agree with Erika, everyone sings EXTRA loud at church mass at St. Michael's that it literally gives me the goosebumps it is so beautiful. I absolutely without a doubt love love love singing Silent Night at the end. It makes me want to cry it's so beautifully sung that night.

11. Cait and I's annual picture round the Christmas tree. We have years and years of pics to look back on! Always with a new outfit on from Santa. And always a visit to eachother's homes to see what Santa brought us.

Presents aside these quirky memories are what make my Christmas week. I don't know what I'd do without the giggling from watching Christmas Vacation with my family, the tradition of opening presents one-by-one to see what everyone got, and the full tummies from Mom's homemade cooking. The Mazza's are truly and thankfully blessed!

photos via google images {'cept for the last one, that's by Yours Truly}

post signature

1 comment:

Erika said...

ahh i make john watch christmas vacation with me every year! it's not something my family ever did because i didn't see it til i was in college but now it's tradition for us :)

also, i got the playskool kitchenette for my birthday probably the same year - my parents will tell you that was my favorite gift ive ever receive, i screamed and ran towards it with my arms out haha!

i won't be back for christmas this year unfortunately, we are staying here because its 1. too expensive 2. too hectic! but i hope to be back in february, we'll have to do something then!!