Tuesday, April 6, 2010

haircut dilemma

Bad haircuts and women is a LETHAL often times tricky, touchy and sensitive subject to any woman who has ever walked the planet. We have all been there...tears are welling up as you sit in the chair staring at a stranger and you begin to remember where all those ball caps are stored away in your closet. You leave the salon and wait 'till you get to your car to let the tears flow, because, as we all know, hairdressers watch their clients leave through the window to make sure they aren't fooling around with it already (I always think they are!) and then you sob uncontrollably, mouth off a few cuss words, call your Mom and cry and then go home and shower and do it yourself.

Except last week I was on the receiving end of this all-too familiar cry for help. Mom had just left the salon and she HATED her new haircut.
"It can't be THAT bad, Mom."
"It is bad enough to make me cry."
I felt completely hopeless and I said what everyone always says, and meant it, "I'm sure it doesn't look THAT bad." And I was right. I saw her on Easter Sunday and absolutely LOVED her new haircut. It was adorably chic and suitable for her face shape. Sure it was on the shorter end then what she was used to, but she looked beautiful.

I couldn't help but ponder the idea of parents and children reaching an age where the playing field is level; parents become friends instead of superiors and advice is equally sought after.

"What did Dad think?" (men, take note here)
"He didn't ask or comment. He knew it was a touchy subject."

post signature

3 comments:

Holly said...

I always think the stylists are watching me when I leave the salon, too! I still remember a terrible "mullet" haircut right before my 4th grade pictures. I cried and cried.

KMazza said...

Where on earth did you find that picture? I remember that Christmas like it was yesterday!

Carrie said...

I sneak some things out of Grandma's albums :)