Thursday, July 22, 2010

summer cleaning

Last night I could not wait to get home and purge my closets. I think the combination of feeling so physically cruddy this week and being sleep deprived had me feeling a bit anxious, like I needed to just, well...PURGE. Rid. Excavate the closets.

I spent a good two hours going through each article of clothing in my closet, inspecting it and asking myself, "When was the last time you wore this?" If it was over a year ago...GOODBYE. I tossed so many sweaters then refolded them and put them back because Winter has this little thing called snow and I'm pretty sure I can't romp around town in tank tops in November.

I found The Wig and promptly put it on for my project. Sometimes chores are a little more fun in costumes (I know who I got this from). I found a wicker basket in the back of my closet full of ridiculous shoes that I've saved for "someday". Like the clunker AE boots circa 1997 I've worn maybe twice...and why are they SO HEAVY? What was I thinking? Then there's the red hooker shoes I've worn with my Snow White costume of '03 and again in '06. You must be crazy if you think I'm getting rid of those (or that costume). Then there's the cowboy boots. Everyone needs a pair of cowboy boots so those are staying in the keeper pile. I have saved 2 pairs of JCrew clogs since high school. I keep thinking I'll wear them SOME year, and sure enough clogs are back in style again. So...I caved and kept them. But I swear at least 5 other pairs of shoes were goners.Anyways, nothing a Yuengling, some good tunes and a Beyonce wig can't fix to get your closets, cabinets and drawers cleaned. As far as that mountain of ironing that has collected over the past month? Not yet. I need to prepare my mind and soul for that fete.

Here is my purging strategy: 1 pile is strictly straight to donation. Another pile are clothes that are nice and still stylish, but I'm simply over it. What to do with those nice pieces? Visit Dress for Success to find a location nearest you to donate your gently used and lovely pieces that can go to a good cause. Visit here for the D4S mission, put on some cowboy boots and dig into your closet!

post signature

No comments: