Last night I went running at Highbanks park filled with trails, wildlife and beautiful surroundings. I have been visiting Highbanks at very different stages of my life and running has always seemed to play a key role in these stages. Coach Beattie used to take us here for repeat trail runs to train during high school track. After a very difficult time in my life I spent days wandering and challenging myself with runs and internal conversations about my next goals and steps in life. It served as such a dumping place for my thoughts, feelings, anger, depression and anxiety. I remember very specifically always coming down out of the trail after a particularly hard hill to a tunnel of yellow leaves so bright, it nearly blinded me. I would always thank God at that point for getting me through another workout with such healthy legs and lungs, despite the many tears I may have shed. And now this very run, the runs that represented me as an athlete and a leader, the run that allowed me to take refuge among the trails, has become a place where I can appreciate all it's represented for me. Last night I ran with a smile and thanked the Lord for creating this beautiful place and refuge for every stage of my life...including a very happy and settled stage in the present.
Trails serve as metaphors for various and obvious reasons. I begin this run at the base of the park, uphill, to face a very tough and challenging hill immediately upon stepping onto it. You can see the peak, but it tricks you. You hit that peak and it keeps going, seemingly endless to a hill so ridiculous your legs burn and start to turn to jelly. And then you see the railings and you know you're almost to the plateau where a deep gorge offers such beautiful scenery that the temporary pain is worth it. And you see a deer. And you see a business man walking in a suit after work. And you think about how everyone is just coming to dump their worries away in such a beautiful place. And then you hit the ground running.


4 comments:
Beautiful in a multitude of ways...
Well written, Carrie. I feel like it is very difficult to put into words why running is so awesome. You really captured the essence in this post.
Lovely photos. One of my favorite parks.
Post a Comment