Tuesday, November 23, 2010

another interview

Since I had so much fun and we all learned a lot about my most coveted fashion thoughts and such in my last interview, I figured I'd serve you another helping of goodness as I invite you into another conversation with myself.

Carrie, we're coming up on the holidays which is always a good point of reference for checking in with your growth from last year. Tell us, what have you learned since last year?
At this point last year I was experiencing some doubt, a little bit of depression and I was probably a whole size smaller than I ought to be. Heartbreak is a son of a b*tch isn't it? I still fully embraced the Thanksgiving traditions and had a lovely time playing Sorry with the cousins and eating turkey at Grandma and Grandpa's. A whole year has gone by, which I really cannot believe, and I have learned and grown so so much. Really, it's all invaluable to myself. I have grown in a new kind of independence and have simply had more fun. 25, or any age, is too young to worry about things out of your control. I went to South Beach. I went to Tennessee and ran my first half marathon. I went to Chicago (twice). I went to Lollapalooza. Last year, Jake and I realized we needed some time apart to decide what we want, and happily realized it was to be together again. I think we're both grateful for that time apart since it's brought us here. I've developed and worked on friendships and met some new people a long the way. It has been a GREAT year (with the exception of some disappointments, but who doesn't have those once in awhile?)

What are you preparing for Turkey Day? What are you doing for Turkey Day?
I am preparing The World's Greatest (and Easiest) Green Bean Casserole. I'd love to say it's an original recipe, that is if I had the rights to claim the French Fried Onion's recipe as my own. I'm making two batches since there will be 15 (!) people in attendance at my Aunt and Uncles for lunch/dinner...lunner? I may or may not be making two batches because I might eat half of one dish. I'm also looking forward to little Jake and Uncle Pat's special pumpkin pie (with chocolate chips in it) and some red wine. Oh, and leftover turkey on rolls for the best turkey sandwiches ever. My whole Mom's side will be at Aunt Chris and Uncle Pat's this year, + 1 cat, Jake and a partridge in a pear tree.

What is your favorite tradition about Thanksgiving?
I love when we all play board games and simply RELAX as a family together. We don't really get dressed up for the occasion since we all typically see eachother on a consistent basis (blessing), so jeans and a comfy sweater and socks do the day it's justice. I love how the kids bring on the crazy and if we're at Grandma and Grandpa's we'll play foosball in the basement like Dom and I did when we were little with Uncle Greg, and the kids will turn on the auto tunes on Grandma's keyboard and we'll take turns singing and dancing. I love that the guys all fall asleep after eating a huge meal, on the couch, football on with their mouthes wide open and content hearts and bellies. This year the kids have prepared some sort of turkey that will pose as a mic that we'll pass around the table to explain what we're most thankful for. I am preparing my speech already. So many things to mention! I also love the year Caitlin and I tackled our first Thanksgiving together when we made all the fixings, including a turkey! We were in Boston and I will never forget it. 

What are you wearing for The Day Your Pants Need To Expand?
Like I said before, we don't get real fancy up in the Mazza/Leonard household, so I'm thinking my new dark wash Gap jeans, a tank and a cardi might do the trick. But I might be purchasing a Adirondack inspired print wrap sweater I've had my eye on to just make the whole day irresistibly cozy. Slippers are always brought for the ultimate lounging experience. Abby and (little) Jake are making Turkey pin brooches for the ladies to wear, so that will polish off any outfit I decide on wearing.

Have a wonderful, blessing-filled, happy Thanksgiving week!
post signature

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Fun, fun, fun! Happy Thanksgiving.