Wednesday, November 3, 2010

f'lancin'

I've been "freelancing" in design now for a year or so, doing random projects as they fall into my lap. But I don't charge because I like to do favors for people, and, well, I just like to do things for fun. That being said, I'm going to take one post to show you little things I've been doing on el side.

One of my besties, Lauren, works for a Division 1 Big 10 University in the Athletic department here in Columbus (ahem...The Best Damn Team In The Land). She brilliantly came up with her specific department's own page within the college website and wanted to add a little "flair" to the logo with what looked like a bleacher seat. So she sent it over to Yours Truly and I drafted then scanned this little piece into the computer and she sent it on to the graphic designer for the University. I'm pretty stoked.
And I'm not including the whole thing so I don't get sued so you can click through to get the full effect here!

Next is my friend Libby's blog header that we did in about an hour to spice up her basic blogspot template for Cooks Like She Talks. Simplicity at it's finest.

I've been seeing these all over etsy and wanted one for myself and for Jake's wall collage we're working on for his living room. With a little grunt work to find the correct font (Googled "war era poster font") I recreated this popular poster in about 20 minutes in Photoshop.

For two years now I have had the privilege to freelance for the Westerville Sunrise Rotary's Annual Wendy's Chili Open at The Columbus Zoo benefitting Central Ohio children's charities. This was last year's brochure and I am working on this years as we speak. This 1 day event has raised over $1 million in 14 years and 100% of the proceeds go to Central Ohio children's charities. Jack Hanna is coming this year!
There was also a poster version of this that was displayed in all Wendy's and Kroger's in the region.
I'm really looking forward to another great year for this event!

Okay, I'm off my horse now. Contact me if you want to do something fun with design. Thanks for listening! Ciao.
post signature

2 comments:

Crimson Design said...

Great blog...can't wait to see more of your creative design projects. Nice to meet you "another fellow Columbus blogger" I will stay posted for more of your designs...start charging! :)

Ashley McLaughlin said...

Carrie! You may be the answer to my questions... I've been wanting to make a business card for my etsy site and I can do it myself and have done them, however I currently work at a boarding school where I am teaching and dorm staffing and have zero time :) Any interest? My page is ammdesigns.etsy.com if you want to check it out. I'm open to re-doing the banner and/or thumbnail as well. Let me know your thoughts! My e-mail is ash.m.mclaughlin@gmail.com. By the way, this is Ashley McLaughlin, formerly Ashley DeGroff! I love reading Ruby, its on my daily google reader!