Wednesday, December 1, 2010

yummy!

Yesterday was rainy and cold and I was craving chili. So I looked up this recipe on Food Network, by my most favorite chef Giada De Laurentis (I seriously have a crush on her) and headed straight to Giant Eagle after work for the few ingredients I didn't have.

White Bean and Chicken Chili: cook time 1hr 15 mins
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds ground chicken
1 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1 tablespoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons chili powder
3 tablespoons flour
2 (15 oz cans) cannellini or other white beans, rinsed and drained
1 bunch (about 1 lb) of Swiss chard, stems removed chopped into 1" pieces (I substituted 2 bags of spinach)
1.5 cups frozen corn, thawed
4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the ground chicken, 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, fennel seeds, oregano, and chili powder. Cook, stirring frequently, until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes. Stir the flour into the chicken mixture. Add the beans, Swiss chard (or spinach), corn, and chicken stock. Bring the mixture to a simmer, scraping up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Simmer for 55-60 minutes until the liquid has reduced by about half and chili has thickened. Add the red pepper flakes and simmer for another 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add parmesan cheese when serving.

And now a few notes from this cook: if you like spicy, or an added kick, add the red pepper flakes. If you're like my two guests (who shall remain nameless) who can't stomach the slightest bit of heat (it's a shame) then don't add them. If you're making for others, I'd keep it as an option.

I bought 3 bags of spinach because it wilts under heat, so add more depending on preference. I was fine with 2 6 oz. bags.

I forgot to take an after pic, I was too busy stuffing my face. But, all in all it was exactly what I was looking for...a hot and hearty but healthy dish. Enjoy! Mangia! Mangia!

post signature

1 comment:

Maggie said...

Mangia! Confession: I have a Giada crush, and kinda wanted to *be* her for a while (especially when I did the Emeril thing, ugh). I make a variation of her cioppino often. It's easy and delicious.