Tuesday, March 1, 2011

SKIN.

Today's post is all about skin. Epidermis. The largest organ of our body. I've been thinking a lot about skin lately, namely, mine, and here is why. A couple of weeks ago I visited my dermatologist for my yearly checkup- I go once a year because I am what the nurses call "a moley noley" (whatever that means). I've had so many removed, I've lost count. Fortunately I get to tell people lies when they ask, "WHAT is that scar from on your stomach?" and I casually tell them I was breaking up a bar fight and was the victim of a knife stab to the belly. I love when I get them going for a minute or two. This recent visit was no exception, as she scraped 3 more from my arms and back. (If you're dying to know, 2 are fine and 1 has positive edges, so I have to go back). All routine and I'm sure everything will be fine- but it certainly has me thinking about the care of my skin. I fell privy to the almighty throne of tanning beds growing up. I neglect a second or third round of SPF when I start to see just how dark I am really getting on the beach. And I'm here to say it's not worth it. I may be vehemently avoiding pictures this winter because of my ghostly limbs, but I don't even care anymore. 

What dermatologist appointment isn't complete without your doctor walking in the door, standing 5 feet away from your face and exclaiming, "Aah. Blackheads. I'm going to prescribe you a new topical gel"? That one always makes me feel great. So prescribe she did, and my eye sockets burned. My face is extremely sensitive, and my problem areas have moved from the puberty-ridden T-zone to my cheeks and jaw-line. Horray for getting old! (For the record I LOVE my dermatologist. She rocks.) But the harsh chemicals are making me pissy when I look in the mirror and see a red and flared face. So you can imagine my intrigue when I came across The Oil Cleansing Method yesterday through another blog I was perusing on a whim. The general idea? Because I am not a scientist, just read it here. I went home, grabbed my EVOO out of the spice cabinet and headed for the bathroom. I snatched a clean wash cloth and poured a small amount of oil into my hands, working it into a lather to warm. Then I began swooshing. Gently rub the oil in small circles around your face, concentrating on problem areas. I did this for 3 minutes (sit on the toilet, close your eyes, take in the aromas). Then I put the washcloth under hot water. Hot. water. And placed on my face. Let your pores breeeathe. I let sit till the cloth cooled and repeated this 3-4 times. On the last one, wipe your face clean.
[my medicine cabinet and....EVOO?]

The verdict? Immediately upon rinsing I felt my face. Smooth as a baby's butt. The smoothest I may have ever felt it. And for the love of GOD it was radiant (I swear). This morning? New blackheads have risen to the surface, but that's the point. They are no longer hiding and being a nag. The oil is simply shedding those dead gross cells (I am assuming).

Of course, as The Method suggests, playing around with different oils is essential to creating a personalized regimen for your face, so I may pick up some different kinds to see what works best. I plan to keep the EVOO in my arsenal of skin care (including Neutrogena sensitive moisturizer with SPF).

3 comments:

Mary said...

Good idea! I have to try it!

Holly said...

ok im gonna get on this. maybe with jojoboa oil.

Doe Couple said...

I started trying this yesterday and so far it's awesome! By the way, your blog is great. It's fun "catching up" with you here :)