Tuesday, April 5, 2011

another post without a picture

Well it would be a bit ridiculous to not comment on the post I did last week about body image. I received several responses that were both enlightening and encouraging. I still need to get back to some people! Admittedly, I was also saddened and shocked. The beautiful, gorgeous, hilarious, most amazing women were writing me feeling the same exact way. My jaw dropped. It angers and frustrates me that these incredible women feel this way, and many more too. I also came to conclude that the ones who wrote were all athletes at some point in their life, even now. I had to conclude that this common thread meant something and that women athletes have to feel somewhat of a grip on their self to upkeep their body much like the past regardless of the rigorous daily workouts, weigh-ins, stereotypes of a dancer, a runner, a rower. In the past several days I've done a little reading on forums for women athletes with body image issues, and have found there are many MANY out there who feel the same. As far as reading more, it's on my to-do list, but being busy lately has put it on the backburner.

Until last night. I watched an episode of Intervention featuring a woman my age who weighed 92 pounds. And then I watched a follow-up special for the series Heavy. From thin to heavy, everyone is battling something. I sometimes wonder why I didn't go into psychology. I love that intervention stuff- peeling the layers.

Anyways, I just wanted to thank the gals who wrote about their struggles, their advice and their insight. It's just really cool.

Today I'm wearing the dress I wore on my first date with Jake. And I just got a random text from him (first time I've heard from him today) saying I love you. Life is good.

3 comments:

KMazza said...

:-)

Maggie said...

I still need to send that email I've been meaning to write. In the meantime, you are amazing. Thank you for the follow up on this topic.

Also, don't you love Intervention? (Fun fact: my college roomie produces and directs it.) I've seen a few episodes on women with eating disorders, and have watched the documentary, "THIN" (about Renfrew), and... WOW. It definitely puts things in perspective.

Anonymous said...

OK so I won't mention I have to lose weight for Geoff's wedding. I will have to wear tighter spanx.
I am having trouble giving up creamer in my coffee, sweets, bread AND hmmmmm wine