Tuesday, June 28, 2011

not the fun kind

When I think of all the ways I'd like to better myself, a whole slew of bullet points begin to take shape on my mental yellow notepad. It might look something like this:
  • tone my body
  • start running again
  • go to church once in awhile- explore
  • stop finishing other people's sentences (a habit recently brought to my attention)
  • which means LISTEN more
  • don't jump to conclusions
  • eat healthier
  • stop taking anti-depressants
And that last one sticks and holds and goddamnit will not come off no matter how hard I think, pray, and try to stop taking them. I went on anti-depressants a little over 5 years ago after senior year in college. A toxic mixture of some hard times and the fact that I was thrust into adulthood- living alone (albeit by choice), being solely responsible for rent, finding a good paying job, and an overwhelming feeling of, "What now?". It was a recipe for disaster. I had tried a different medication a couple of years earlier, but I wasn't good about taking them and they left me feeling like a robot (not the fun kind). So the second time around I admittedly had apprehensions about trying something all over again. My mindset was that I should be able to kick this. I should be able to GET A GRIP and just deal with things, and mostly realize that I was not the only one bartending as my "career" at the ripe age of 21. But the other part of me knew that this was chemical, genetic, out of my hands. There was always this lingering pile of goo that settled at the bottom of my brain and reminded me every so often that I wasn't good enough and for the love of god I was ALWAYS tired. I remember the first couple weeks of taking the medication the second time around. Dad was vigilant in checking in with me and making sure I was taking them on time and I can remember him stopping over one time after work and I was.a.zombie on the couch. I couldn't focus. For all I know I could have been drooling all over my shirt. I basically couldn't do anything but sleep. But slowly, as the days went by, my body got used to the new juice and I adapted.

So here we are, five years later. Since starting a mild dose, I have lowered it to the lowest dose possible, and I'm taking them every other day. There are days when I think, "If it's working and making me feel okay then what's the harm?" but there are days when I hate the idea that I am who I am, right now, because of a pill. I honestly think my need for starting them came at a time of circumstantial depression- I simply did not know what the hell I was doing with my life and what would become of it. I was still learning how to deal. Mostly, I want to stop. I could go into a song and dance about research I've done about long-term side effects (memory loss...which, oh my WORD I can't remember things) and the withdraws. OH, the withdraws. I hit day 3 sans pill and I can barely function. I feel like someone has kicked me between the eyes and all I want to do is sleep. Remember? That sleeping side-effect? Same goes for weening off of the good stuff. So, consequently, I'm scared. I know I have to do this in increments if it's going to work and work well. I know you can't just stop taking them. I could not or WOULD not ever be able to because of the crippling withdraws. You truly feel like you are floating (not the fun kind).

I know what you're thinking. If you feel fine, why stop? I agree, but I am happy. I am content, and frankly I feel like an adult who can handle things now. That's where I am with this whole slice of my life. The end.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was on antidepressants for a long time, and i believe it was due to a circumstantial-type depression. i for sure needed to go on them at the time. and then i stayed on them. i decided i wanted to stop, talked to my doctor, etc., and it was hard, but i would never have characterized it as an impossible withdraw...it was just something i dealt with and had to get through. now, everyone's different, i'm not saying you should or could stop, or that i'm tougher than you, but just sharing a sorta simliar story....good luck to you!

Anonymous said...

Dang. I just left a novel of a comment about my experience with antidepressents (I truly need them), and my comment vanished. (Maybe you can find it somewhere in your corner of cyberspace?)

But my main point is, I hope you find what works, there's no shame in taking antidepressants, but you're right to evaluate if you really need them. I'll be supporting you every step of the way!

xo

Erika said...

i was on anti depressants my junior year of high school and it was so unbearable that i quit taking them after 6 months. i didn't feel sad or anxious like i did before them, but i didn't feel happy or excited about anything ever and felt like a shell of a person. i don't think i could ever take them again, i would rather have all the sad and depressing feelings if it means i can have all the wonderful, happy feelings too.

good luck coming off them, it probably won't be easy at first but you can totally do it :)

Unknown said...

I will just say that you amaze me, Carrie. I always saw you (and still do) as someone who had/has it all together and is so comfortable in your own skin. I applaud your bravery to share these not-so-perfect things (this and your body image post) that make you who you are. Good luck as you continue forward on this quest to live life the way you want to live it.