Monday, June 27, 2011

tessa

It's been awhile since she was told her diagnosis. Awhile being just over a month that her life was turned upside down. A month that the strongest girl I know has had to face the heaviest news a 26 year old could probably take. She has breast cancer. She is 26. And she was going to have a double mastectomy.

I have known Tessa since freshman year in college. In the dorms with all the other girls trying to find friendships, a boyfriend, and simply their way around campus. We instantly hit it off when we met through pledging at Theta Nu, and realized we were neighbors in the hallway. The cliche has to be said but the rest. is. history. Tessa is the same kind of weird as I. She can light up a room, she can make anyone laugh, she always always put herself before others. My partner in crime for all-nighters, my sidekick as we took breaks from writing papers and rode down to McDonald's braless, blasting Kelly Clarkson with the windows down at 2:30am. My rock when I cried over boys and jobs.

She was always working working working- internships, jobs, getting ahead- getting ready for her future. I never knew how she did it. Where in the hell did you get that energy?! She puts every single person before herself, yet still somehow manages to work harder for her own goals in life more than anyone I know. I look up to her.

So when she told me this news, and our friends, we all cried. And she told us to get strong, that she would not accept any pity parties and she was ready to kick this cancer in the ass. To the curb. For good. When others would simply crumble, she got stronger. Just when I thought she couldn't amaze me more, she did.

Today she starts chemo treatment and I want nothing more for her to feel the prayers of hundreds who love her and to smile. Those who know Tessa know she will make light of every situation possible. I believe when she awoke from her surgery she said, "God I'm good- I found that mother f'ing lump". Upon hearing the diagnosis she told all of us gals to go feel ourselves up. I can only imagine the ridiculousness it was when her awesome and hilarious family were all rallying around her, joke upon joke pouring out of their broken yet faithful hearts.

Tessa- I love you. Today and everyday. You are so strong and amazing. You truly are. And I'll try not to be jealous when you soon have bigger boobs than I do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love you so much.

Reagan said...

girlfriends are the best. tessa sounds awesome. as hard as this is, she sounds like she has an army of people who love her-you included. i bet you'll find a million ways to repay her for everything she has done for you. you're a good friend carrie.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Ive been thinking of her. xoxo libby