Tuesday, July 19, 2011

beauty routine

Last night I was feeling on the edge and decided to get yet another new nail color from essie. I decided on plumberry. And then I went home, watched the rain come in and then The Bachelorette and set out on the ridiculous journey that is Painting My Nails. I say ridiculous because- maybe I'm skipping a step or two?- or maybe my nails have an aversion to drying without smudging but, it takes a freaking village to get those suckers to dry nicely. So here is my go-to fail proof version of getting a nice manicure at home.
1. Paint first coat and let dry (it dries quickly) normally around dusk.
2. Get ready for bed, read, watch tv, wash face, get all comfy under the sheets, set alarm clock.
3. Paint second coat while under sheets- everything has to be in place and ready for me to just turn off the light when I'm done.
4. Turn off light as if I were holding a precious stone, the anecdote, or a really thin piece of tissue paper as to not smudge.
5. Lay still like a mummy, hands outside of bedding laying face down at my sides.
6. Don't move.
7. Wake up.
8. Get ready for work.
9. Paint top coat at two long consecutive stop lights.
10. Roll down windows and let airdry in the hotter than hell humid air.

THERE HAS TO BE AN EASIER WAY.

4 comments:

Erika said...

haha!!! i just started getting into nail art about a month ago so i paint my nails at least every few days ... i also don't have a job, maybe that's why. but i always just turn on the tv and distract myself with that, making sure to finish anything important. i try not to do it at night because then you get sheet imprints!

Maggie said...

Hahahaha! Hilarious and cute. Wait, your second coat doesn't smudge when you are sleeping? I can't do anything -- not even sleep -- for, like, 3 hours after my last coat. I totally get sheet imprints!

I've been told that the "secret" is to use very, very thin coats and let each dry very, very thoroughly, so it sounds like you're doing it right.

Something that *might* help: I recently started using Orly's "Sec n Dry", which supposedly penetrates and dries all the layers. It totally works, except my polish still peels off in one big sheet if I've been cleaning and doing dishes. You know how it separates at the tip and peels off from there? Yeah. Lame.

Lilac Haven said...

Maybe its the brand. I use some cheap stuff from CVS and never have any problem. I can't sit still for more than 2 minutes to let it dry anyway.

Carrie said...

Sheet imprints are the worst! I didn't get any this time, but I find that if I do a quick clear coat over them (if I get them) they will go away. I mean, I know I'm not doing the standard base coat, 2 coats totally dry, top coat crap but it's annoying to do! Maggie- I will check out the Sec n Dry! And your whole "peels off in one big sheet" thing is all too familiar. Although sometimes it's fun to peel- even though it negates all of my efforts.