Monday, August 11, 2014

Hope

When my friend texted me about the news of Robin Williams’ death tonight, I was walking in from a workout and expected to turn on the news to learn that it was yet another apparent overdose on drugs in Hollywood. Sadly, and almost shockingly, it was from a suicide after suffering from a long struggle with depression. Rest in peace, Robin Williams. And thank you for the childhood full of laughter and wonder. After reading some posts that my friends bravely posted urging people with depression to get help I decided to write this post.

And here is why.

On a night in the fall of 2006, mere months after graduating college, I attempted suicide. For reasons not relevant to this story I had reached the bottom of the utmost bottom of my own personal hell of a black hole. I had convinced myself that I was not worth living and that the pain of living was too much of an unbearable task to try and take on. I had convinced myself that the people who loved me did not love me anymore. That I embarrassed them. That I let them down. I had also been taking an anti-depressant for about a month and abruptly stopped taking it because I was convinced it wasn’t working, (DO NOT DO THIS) when in reality I was not okay with the side effects that come with starting an anti-depressant (read: hang in there, it gets better. I promise).  More recent events leading up to that night inevitably led me to attempting to take my own life, but the depression had been years in the making.

I grew up in a loving, supportive home with parents and a brother who loved me and told me how proud they were of me on a regular basis.  We had family dinners together. We laughed at America’s Funniest Home Videos weeknights on the couch. We took family vacations to our lake house with my grandparents, aunts, uncles and friends. Our extended family spent at least one Sunday a month together celebrating someone’s birthday or cooking out. I had more friends than I could count on two hands who all still agree, we had the best childhood anyone could ever ask for. I played sports and excelled at them. I won medals and was captain of our track team. I was outgoing and made people laugh. I went to a private liberal arts college and was in a sorority. I ran track in college. I was a captain there too. I (sometimes) did well in school. I randomly joined the dance team. I rocked the shit out of Greek Week. I went home for dinner on Sunday nights.

I paint you this picture because depression, at any age or any chapter in life, is unbiased. It is sneaky. Depression doesn’t care if you are rich, poor, have married parents, divorced parents, have been abused. It doesn’t care if you are religious, if you drink or don’t drink. It doesn’t care if you wear all black and listen to goth music. It doesn’t care if you have a track meet, or plans with friends or if you were the captain of your team. It doesn’t care if you are shy or outgoing or don’t have many friends. Depression does not care what you want.

What I wanted, and what I struggled with on the inside, was to be free of the shackles that kept me from hating myself on a daily basis. I talked to therapists, I talked to friends and family. I prayed for this illness to go away.  Nothing seemed to help. It seemed helpless. It was helpless.

***
But it wasn’t. Fortunately, and by god do I mean fortunately, I came to my senses shortly after my attempt that night and called someone for help. Many could say my attempt was a huge cry for help. And it was just that. I am just glad to say I can live to tell you that you do not need to wait to cry for help when you are about to attempt suicide. Please do not wait. Please. Do not wait. You may think that you have disappointed the people who love you the most but you never could. They want you here. We want you here. Depression is a disease and an illness and with the right care from a doctor and support from people who care you will find a way to unlock the shackles. Talk to your doctor. Talk to your family. Talk to your friends. Call a hotline. Talk to someone, anyone, and tell them that you are struggling. There are people in this world who can help you. If you believe anything tonight believe that you are wanted and that it can and will get better.

***
My recovery has been a work in progress, but a great one. I have talked to a couple of therapists over the years whenever I feel like I am being pulled back into that damn black hole. They have given me the tools to train my brain to think differently (really- it's neat). I spoke with my family doctor who helped me get on a medication that worked with my body, and we closely monitored how I was feeling and how much to take. It is very important to closely monitor how you feel when starting or when stopping an anti-depressant. Do not attempt it alone. It is not something to be scared about, just be smart and cautious.  Over the past several years I have weaned back to a low 10mg a day (the lowest you can go) to even out the last part of my brain that just does not want to develop some of the normal levels of chemicals that should be produced. (Damn you, genetics!)

But the real growth has come from the soul searching I have done for myself over the years. I believe in medicinal help, but I also firmly believe in the importance of the inner soul searching you have to do to get you to your happy place- whatever that is for you. If you do not know, get searching. Get moving- run, join a club sport, do yoga. Travel. See a world outside of your own. Remove the negativity from your life- toxic friends, old hangouts, people who drag you down.  Call your Mom.  Go on a walk at dusk. Looking back, one of my favorite memories of my immediate recovery was running at Highbanks in the fall and admiring the colors of the changing trees. I would run up that last hill through a tunnel of trees with yellow leaves hanging over my head thanking God I came to my senses. Take notice of the beautiful reasons to stay with us in this life. You are worth it. We are worth it. I promise.

No comments: