In a recent conversation I reminiced about the fact that growing up I loved to play office. The pencils! The erasers! The blank sheets of paper just begging to be bloated with ideas and designs! More specifically, I drafted blueprints of my dream house(s) for my very own architectural firm. I even took an eraser and carved out a logo to be stamped red at the bottom of each design once completed.Growing up I watched my Dad meticulously design and build additions, houses, and my most favorite; Dominick and I's clubhouse in the backyard. He even took the time to build me my very own room. In that room was a crisp white desk built into a nook in the corner. It was filled with American Girl stickers, stamps, markers, erasers and endless coloring pages. And even better, pink and bear covered holders to keep everything organized (everything looks better organized.) Everything creative imaginable! And no desk in the 80's wasn't complete unless filled with anything from Hearts Desire at the Worthington Mall, or anything that happened to be traded at the countless sleepovers at Sammi's house.
Is it wrong that at the age of 24 I am still a sucker for new supplies? Who could resist the calling of a 24 pack of Sharpie markers or the bold skinny markers by Crayola? Never used! So shiny! (I asked for, and got them from my Mom for my 24th birthday.) So it is only natural that this daydreams-in-color gal needs a wonder-induced atmosphere at her, dare I say it, cubicle. The dreaded c-word.
While catching up with Design*Sponge I came across this company in NYC who just revamped their office and graciously sent pictures to D*S to post on their blog to share. I'm questioning if The Wonderfactory just wanted to make everyone drool over of how cool of a place they work in. I am so drawn to the picture above for the low-lit lamps perched on each employees desk. There is something so "I'm not at work, I just do this for fun" type of vibe they've got going on there. A ney-sayer of overhead lighting for any occasion (never flattering to anyone's skin tone) this easy solution to lighting is perhaps the best I've seen in awhile for the workplace. I'm going to have to bring a lamp into work (leg lamp? hmmm....)
Now this is just pure genius. Wonderfactory actually has a RockBand2 set up in a break room where umbrellas cascade overhead. Need I say more? I think Obama needs to mandate a RockBand2 be setup in every break room in the workplace and demand everyone, no matter who you are or what you are doing to drop everything and take a 3pm break to play the drums. Stress relief, fun, and fulfilling a life long fantasy for 99% of anyone I know wanting to be a rock star. Brilliant.Don't be surprised if I walked in and out of this room strutting, the umbrellas instantly remind me of a photoshoot.
Last, but certainly not least, I LOVE the chandeliers in the design studio/library. Not only do they catch the light
and colors of the saturated room but they offer a bit of drama and sophistication that every library should have. (Leave your revolvers and lead pipes at home Miss. Scarlet.)I have been enjoying the comeback of chandeliers for some time now. I used to think they were just fussy and too dainty but paired with some large scaled and natural accessories in any room it offers the right amount of class.
Visit http://www.thewonderfactory.com/ for more fillings of this Wonka-worldesque office.
No comments:
Post a Comment