Monday, December 15, 2008

Shopping in a Winter Wonderland

I went. I saw. I conquered. Mom and I made the 30 minute drive out of town, headed Southeast to Thornville and spent a good amount of the morning circling the darling and quaint store Urban Farmhouse. I have been following her blog now for some time and could only dream of what this fantasy filled store had to offer. After winding roads on a sunny day and through an old town came a store front filled with snowy iceskating girls twirling around white cupcake stands and icicles in a wintry wonderland. It was all I had hoped for and more.

No destination trip so close to Christmas is not complete with an ornament or two to add to the tree. In the past couple years I have truly enjoyed the quality of choosing particular ornaments that take on special meaning. Mom suggested the long icicle adornments for the tree as they catch the smallest bit of light and shimmer quite prettily. This past summer Mom and I took a day trip to Grandville to visit an outdoor home and garden show and spotted the soy candles with a special twist. The candles were cleverly poured into halved wine bottles which to any wine lover such as myself is a necessity in a kitchen or on a coffee table. Mom and I are still laying out the plans to make these on our own (to be continued...). So I figured since it was the second time around seeing them, and about 6 months later, and I was still pining for this candle I took one home with me. The chosen one was picked because of the beautiful typography on the label, what can I say I'm a sucker for good handwriting! Any wine lover should have one of these in their home only to affirm the love for the grape.

Mom didn't walk out empty handed either (she never does.) Last weekend her and her best friend, Kim stopped at the store on their way out to the lakehouse before a long weekend of cookie baking and relaxing by the fire. Much to my surprise I received a text from Kim letting me know Mom cleared out about half the store! One of her good purchases was this wreath holder that is the perfect amount of holiday cheer yet simple and understated on the front door of my parents home. Ornaments and tree trimmings rounded out her finds as well as some new stockings to hang from the fireplace (which I have yet to see but have no doubts in their beauty.) Mom, you get the street cred for this one!

My fascination will be endless with this store because it is ever-changing and always idea-inspiring. The 30 minute drive is well worth it; the whole way there you can't wait to see what she has and the entire way home you are so excited to sprinkle your home with your new-found treasures!

No comments: