Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Happiness

There is a thing going around Facebook right now where people are to write 25 Random Things about themselves. Of course I did this. Of course I know maybe 2 out of my 15 nearest and dearest will do it. But it got me thinking about some really random and lost memories. I started writing more down and thought I would post them here. I have really enjoyed thinking about these things because there are a lot of memories from the past and a lot of things I enjoy about my life now that make me realize how blessed I have been!

I lose chap stick approximately 3 days after I buy it, hair-things every time I take my hair down and if I wear dangly earrings I always lose just 1. This is why I don’t buy expensive jewelry. Other than that I am so organized I can tell you where everything is. By the way, not even kidding; I just realized I have one earring in right now!
I was always late to high school so I would park in the front where the teachers and principal parked. It seems that I grew up thinking rules did not apply to me.
I also hid in the front turn-around by the flag pole in a bush for 2 hours after the senior class TP’d the front lawn and the cops came. Proud to say I was not one of the few who got caught!
Caitlin and I were one of the first to get our belly buttons pierced on our 14th birthdays. Our Mom’s took us and I didn’t pass out, for once. I have a permanent hole now from taking it out senior year of college when I was over it.
I have been told, and agree with, that I am non-judgmental of people, their opinions, their decisions, etc. I am also a good listener and like to think I give good advice.
My Mom would ground us when we were little which normally meant we would just go to our rooms and play alone for a bit or nap. We’d come out to her making us homemade chocolate chip cookies.
My brother and I were OBSESSED, and I do mean FANATICAL about Top Gun and Dirty Dancing growing up. The twins, Ashley and Lauren who lived behind us, would come over and Dominick would stand at the end of the family room and try to lift each one of us like the finale of the Dirty Dancing movie… which never worked.
One of my favorite Dad memories is when he would come home from a long hard day at work , sit in his chair and ask me to take his boots off. I gladly would untie them each and set them side by side and I swear to you they never ONCE smelled or were gross. I also love going to Lowe’s for the things in there but mostly the smell. It reminds me of the special trips we took with Dad to get supplies when we were young.
There is a hill on top of a mountain at our lake house that I want to go to and lay on a blanket to look at the stars. I think I have been hesitant to go because I want to share it with someone special. The view and the stars are absolutely breathtaking out there.
I know who will be in my wedding someday. They are definite. These girls are sticking around in my life until we're using walkers.
The summer before middle school started Mom told me there was an open gym at the school for kids to play and get to know each other. She dropped me off and I ran inside to a gym packed full of girls practicing volleyball. I ran back out and she said, “Well….why don’t you stay awhile?” I ended up playing for 4 years and to this day Mom swears she didn’t know it was tryouts. I have my suspicions.
I like my handwriting. I like other people’s handwriting and what it could mean or say about them.
I used to rip the ends off of hotdogs because I didn’t appreciate the wrinkly grossness of them. I also was told an urban myth that spiders lay their eggs in the ends of bananas so I started ripping the ends of those off too. I still catch myself being weary of the ends of things...including movies, especially if it is a sad ending.
I have naturally curly/wavy hair but rarely wear it that way.
If there is a belly flop contest I will enter. I normally give a pretty significant splash.
I have written letters that I have never sent. Sometimes it’s better just to get the thoughts down and out.
My Grandpa takes his glasses off and sets them on the table when he is eating. I have always thought this is standard to anyone who wears glasses when in reality it’s just another quirk of my Grandpa, but if I’m wearing a pair I will do the same.
When I watch my cousin Abby, who is 6, singing her guts out on the microphone to Taylor Swift or along to Grandma’s keyboard I think of myself when I was little and when I would sing in my room. I also am filled with so much love for her and the endless ideas of what she will be when she grows up.
I love that my Grandma will sing or dance anywhere, anytime, for any reason. I got this from her.
There are two shows I never get sick of no matter how many times I’ve seen them; Seinfeld and Sex and the City. Uncle Greg has every episode of Seinfeld at the lake house (which we’re watching 95% of the time we’re out there) and I have every season of SATC , which sometimes I have on just for background noise when cleaning because I know exactly what’s going on without having to watch.
I think drinking a diet coke with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich is absolutely delectable. Cheese on Triscuits with red wine is also another exceptional trio.
My nicknames have included Cheech, Cheech021, Mazza, MAAAZZZZZ, CMazz, Care, Carebear, Scary Carrie and Pitties.
I enjoy cooking but generally when it’s for other people. Otherwise I have breakfast for dinner, soup or a big ass bowl of green beans. On that note, I never tried a green bean until sophomore year of high school when Lauren Birnie dared me to because I said I hated them but had really never tried one.
First period Journalism class, senior year of high school, Devin Russell, Kyle Baker, Kelsey McDonough and I would sign out to go interview for stories but really drove to Kyle’s house, drank Gatorade or Dr. Pepper and watched Jerry Springer.
When I got the keys to my first apartment out of college, living alone, I walked up with 1 box, set it down and did a dance right there in the empty living room I was so excited. Then I took a nap on the floor with nothing but a blanket. It is still my haven.
My favorite spot in my apartment is in the corner of the couch, near the side table, near the window. I like to sit here and read a book or a magazine or do my nails. Never to watch TV though. That corner is The Spot.
My closet is divided as so: half nice tank/short sleeved tops, half dresses. The other side is half nice long sleeved tops/work tops, and half casual long sleeved tops. All are grouped by color. Not necessarily rainbow, just by color. I am not OCD it is just much easier to find things that way, and to also put outfits together in my head.
My favorite thing is when I lay with someone and they run their fingers through my hair. My Mom did this when I was little to calm me down or get me to sleep and it has been and always will be beyond soothing.
I appreciate my alone time and independence and welcome it with open arms. I would not be who I am today without it. However, I don’t like to be lonely. There are 2 types of lonely I have experienced and there is a big difference; the lonely when you are near and close to a lot of people you love but aren’t around them and the lonely when there is absolutely nothing you can do about it because you are hundreds of miles away from anyone you know. That one makes you feel completely flat-lined. Sometimes I don’t know which one is worse, but I know I don’t like either.
I hands down, without a doubt HATE cutting tomatoes. They never turn out right and it makes me angry when I’m trying to make a nice dinner.
I have never thrown anything out of anger. The only reason I thought of this interesting tidbit is because this was the topic of conversation on the radio during my morning commute after Bush ducked getting hit by a shoe. I have thrown a cell phone, but it was thrown to land on something soft. Not towards someone’s head. Although throwing a shoe might actually be kind of liberating.
I like to play games like Scattergories, Taboo, Euchre, and Clue.
I am so grateful I was able to say goodbye to my PopPop over the phone before he passed away. I am also glad I made the last minute decision to fly to California last June knowing it would probably be my last time to see him. He told me that I was beautiful and most importantly proud of me. I will never forget his voice, ever.

1 comment:

Lilac Haven said...

Carrie -these are good!