I knew before she did. I heard it in her voice when she told me what she was doing on a daily basis from literally half-way around the world. I saw it in the pictures she sent me on the rare days when the internet and electricity worked simultaneously. I even felt it when I heard the stories of some of the individual people she worked with. So while Kelly was immersed in her work; so busy she couldn’t see past the next project; I had the ability to step back and see part of the bigger picture.
What I’ve learned from my life in the military is that the world is a much smaller place than most of us realize and what we choose to do, or choose to close our eyes to has a massive, very real effect on people across this tiny planet. Kelly volunteered her first two months after graduating as a Doctor of Physical Therapy to working in the government run orphanages in Ethiopia. The situation she encountered was shocking. There aren’t enough caregivers to go around in the orphanages so most kids don’t get picked up or leave their crib during the day. The lack of interaction leaves almost all of the kiddos with developmental delays. Feeding little ones consists of handing them a bottle to prop up and feed themselves, which leads to aspiration and pneumonia if they are flat on their backs.
We aren’t foolish enough to think we will solve the orphan crisis by ourselves, but we are very excited to be in a position to help one. Kelly is going back to Ethiopia in February, 2011 and the great news is that I get to go with her. The trip promises to open my eyes even more to the challenges these babies face daily and bring a renewed passion to help that I hope is infectious. Our sincerest thanks go out to anyone who keeps us in their thoughts or prayers as we embark on our adoption adventure. We will need every bit of love and support you can offer to help make one less.
Realizing the impact this beautiful country and just a few of the six million orphans in Ethiopia were having on my wife, I knew. The question changed from, “will we adopt at some point?”, to, “when can we get this process started?” If we waited until we were comfortable enough to feel like we could afford every penny and have everything perfectly in place we may never get the process started, so we decided to step out in faith and do what these kids need: just love.
Want to help right now? Noonday Collection offers unique, high quality accessories made by artisans around the world who are provided a fair wage for their products which can head lead them out of poverty, allow them to provide food and education to their children and reestablish the dignity they lost when they couldn't provide these basic needs. They make amazing pieces that are extremely beautiful and can add a lot to an outfit or home (I have my eye on the arm warmers)! Kelly and Nick have had the opportunity to partner with Noonday Collection who will provide part of their profits towards their adoption costs. When ordering online, under "instructions to the merchant," please include "for the Mortellite adoption." This will let them know you'd like part of your purchase to assist them in their journey. Check out all they have to offer at www.noondaycollection.com.
Want to help right now? Noonday Collection offers unique, high quality accessories made by artisans around the world who are provided a fair wage for their products which can head lead them out of poverty, allow them to provide food and education to their children and reestablish the dignity they lost when they couldn't provide these basic needs. They make amazing pieces that are extremely beautiful and can add a lot to an outfit or home (I have my eye on the arm warmers)! Kelly and Nick have had the opportunity to partner with Noonday Collection who will provide part of their profits towards their adoption costs. When ordering online, under "instructions to the merchant," please include "for the Mortellite adoption." This will let them know you'd like part of your purchase to assist them in their journey. Check out all they have to offer at www.noondaycollection.com.
You can also visit Kelly and Nick's blog, Just Love and purchase a t-shirt that will contribute to the Mortellite's adoption and awareness to the needs of children in Ethiopia.
Of course, spread the word and,
Just Love.



4 comments:
thanks for giving me the opportunity to help. i dream to adopt. i hope my measly donation helps them.
Beautiful Post Carrie!!
I love all three of you, and the lucky child who gets to become part of the family! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!
Thanks Carrie! You are GREAT!
Nick
Post a Comment